As Fashion Month unfolds around the world, the glamour is spilling onto the virtual catwalks and glossy magazine spreads — and social media channel of choice is TikTok. As fashion houses navigate the online realm in search of new audiences and ways to bring their luxury offerings to the public, the popular app is making sure they get noticed with a suite of features tailor-made for the industry’s key players. From sponsored lenses to specialized promotions, TikTok is taking cues from the world of luxury fashion — and courting brands with an unprecedented level of attention.
1. The TikTok Takeover: Luxury Brands Flock to the App for Fashion Month
The introduction of TikTok into the world of fashion in 2020 is a major trend that no luxury brand can afford to overlook. As Fashion Month hits the digital catwalks, TikTok has become a powerful platform for luxury brands to reach out to audiences worldwide.
From montages of runway looks to on-demand access to exclusive collections, luxury houses are leveraging the power of TikTok to draw new eyes to their brands. It’s becoming the go-to destination to find out who and what’s trending before the pieces hit the shelves. Some of the major players that have embraced the platform this season include:
- Louis Vuitton: Nicolas Ghesquière recreated the red carpet at the Golden Globes with a star-studded montage of his campaign. From Tessa Thompson and Spike Lee to Oliwia Anna and other up-and-comers, the LV gang were turning heads for digital fashion week.
- Fendi: The “Chair-in-Fendi” challenge invited viewers to partake in a glamorous dinner-party experience. With over two million views, the challenge and subsequent video montage of exclusive motifs created a buzz throughout the industry.
- Balmain: Pierre Balmain has been a front runner of the app, with a series of live-time broadcasted talks from the designer himself. His latest tutorial and digital fashion show entry invited viewers to learn about the house’s signature cut and style.
TikTok will continue to shape digital fashion for the foreseeable future as the most influential luxury brands continue to flock to the platform.
2. Leveraging TikTok’s Reach to Take Part in the Digital Revolution
Small Businesses Can Quickly Rise Among the Digital Elite
TikTok is often associated with playful videos and creative trends. However, the platform is also quickly becoming a key marketing tool for small businesses looking to capitalise on its massive reach. For any small business, leveraging TikTok has become an essential part of taking part in the digital revolution.
Businesses can use TikTok for anything from research-based product feedback to creative brand promotion. By harnessing the platform’s access to millions of users, small businesses can achieve a huge reach without huge financial costs. Here are the steps to take advantage of what TikTok has to offer:
- Start by creating short, shareable media content that highlights your brand.
- Think outside the box and be creative — engage with users with the intent to evoke emotion.
- Share your content across multiple social media platforms, and make sure it is well-aligned with your business identity.
- Organise campaigns to increase interactivity, e.g. Q&A, giveaways, competitions, etc.
- Invite influencers that align with your brand to join your campaigns.
Digital marketing is no longer just reserved for large enterprises with copious resources. With the right strategies in place, yours can be the small business that stands out, and quickly rises among digital peers. TikTok is the ideal platform that provides you with the boost you need, and you can leverage it to get your business where you want it to be.
3. Charmed by the Creative Possibilities of TikTok – Luxury Brands Are Making Their Mark
In the past year, TikTok has taken the world by storm, becoming the go-to platform for youngsters looking for fresh content. And luxury brands across the world are paying attention – namely because the platform can offer a world of creative possibilities.
TikTok allows luxury brands to produce and display content like never before. They can demonstrate their core values through employee-driven stories, highlight the craftsmanship involved in their production, and showcase their collections by getting influencers to collaborate in fun and creative ways. From shooting glossy fashion campaigns to producing stylized stop-motion clips, brands can adapt their visual identity and storytelling to match the vibe of the platform.
- Engage with a Gen-Z audience in real time: TikTok gives luxury brands an opportunity to tap into an audience that’s become ever more tech-savy and engaging through the platform. They can capture their curiosity by going live and talking to the audience in real time, and participate in viral trends and memes for a fun spin on product promotions.
- Explore what can be done with user-generated content: By connecting with influential personalities and tapping into user-generated content, luxury brands can get their video campaigns to reach wider audiences and get people involved in their product launches. As TikTok is a relatively new platform, there is a huge world of creative exploration to be done.
4. Harnessing TikTok’s Unique Approach to Engage Millennials and Gen Z
TikTok is a powerful tool that enables marketers to tap into the elusive millennial and Generation Z markets. But, what makes the platform so successful in reaching and engaging these younger audiences? For starters, TikTok thrives on the element of surprise. Its video-first focus and open format allows marketers to get creative and draw their audiences’ attention in new and unexpected ways.
The platform also offers branded content opportunities that create a mutually-beneficial collaboration between popular influencers and brands. Working with TikTok influencers can help marketers easily tap into the community of younger viewers who regularly follow the influencer’s content. This helps build relationships with the audience faster, all while creating content that reaches and resonates with the desired demographic.
- Surprise Factor: Utilize an unexpected creative approach to draw the attention of younger audiences.
- Influencer Collaborations: Harness the power of relationships with popular influencers and the communities that follow them.
As Fashion Month draws to a close, we will have to wait and see if TikTok will remain as strong a presence in coming seasons. While the platform is already getting a foothold in the luxury fashion and beauty world, only time will tell whether this fascination is an enduring one or a fast-burning trend.