As one of the most well-known fashion brands globally, Calvin Klein is no stranger to innovation. We had a chance recently to catch up with their Chief Marketing Officer, Comer Cheng, at The Drum Live event, where he discussed his unique approach to marketing that has helped shape the brand. Here, he shares his views on taking a different path from traditional routes.
1. Following the Beat: Calvin Klein CMO Marci Weber Breaks the Rhythm
As one of the longest serving members of the Calvin Klein executive team, Marci Weber has seen the brand through some of its greatest successes. Fuelled by decades of experience and creative energy, Weber has acquired clout and influence when it comes to brand identification and customer loyalty. But her definition of success isn’t limited to the basics of sales and promotions.
Rather, Weber has a unique vision of how to break through the sound barrier of marketing, honing in on the rhythm of the cultural zeitgeist. This forward-thinking approach is evidenced in her continual focus on finding creative ways to make cutting-edge campaigns and stay ahead of the curve. Her actions are inspiring brands to employ daring strategies and engage directly with consumers on social media, especially through the use of innovative influencer initiatives.
It’s Weber’s commitment to exploring innovative solutions that has kept the beat of the culture changing so quickly, with quick, measurable results to boot. With an emphasis on cultivating bold ideas and clever innovations, Weber is helping to propel Calvin Klein into the public zeitgeist and effectively defining the evolution of the brand.
- Weber has acquired clout and influence when it comes to brand identification and customer loyalty.
- Fuelled by decades of experience and creative energy, Weber has a unique vision of how to break through the sound barrier of marketing.
- Her actions are inspiring brands to employ daring strategies and engage directly with consumers on social media.
- It’s Weber’s commitment to exploring innovative solutions that has kept the beat of the culture changing so quickly.
2. Daring to be Different: Taking Action for Change at Calvin Klein
Making a Change at Calvin Klein
Calvin Klein aims to be bold and innovative in a world of fashion that often lacks in this way. In order to encourage and promote personal independence and lead change, they have launched the Dare to be Different Campaign. This is to showcase those who are living a unique and creative life style, and bring attention and support to the people who dare to express themselves in an effort to improve and build a better society for everyone.
The company is now looking to step up and support the individuals whose initiative and creativity are sparking a reinvention in the fashion world. Through their website, Calvin Klein pledges to encourage, empower and inspire everyone everywhere to stand out, break boundaries and be brave, no matter what.
- People of all genders, ages, and backgrounds can be a part of the Dare to be Different Campaign.
- They are supplied with resources to further help them express themselves, including content, interviews, and stories.
- The support and inspiration encourages innovation and progress and creates an example for others to do the same.
3. Making an Impactful Change: Marci Weber’s Path to Transform the Brand
When Marci Weber entered the field of marketing six years ago, she was met with a challenge: transforming a failing brand. Knowing how to make an impactful change did not come naturally, but Marci was determined to raise the visibility of her brand and impress her peers. Thankfully, her hard work and dedication have paid off! Here’s how she has made an impactful change:
- Building Relationships: Marci put in the effort to establish long-term relationships with her customers. This raised the credibility and visibility of her brand, and finally allowed it to hold its own in the market.
- Redesigning the Brand: Marci took a no-nonsense approach to redesign her brand’s image. She worked around a concept that offered a fresh start and helped draw the attention of potential customers in untapped markets.
- Re-branding Strategies: Marci implemented a new strategy to improve her brand’s awareness. To do this, she employed creative advertising tactics that highlighted her brand’s features on current trends.
Rebranding was not an easy task, but Marci Weber succeeded in imparting her brand with a renewed sense of purpose. Her initiative and modern approach to marketing will certainly leave a long-term positive impact on the brand.
4. Accepting the Unexpected: Embracing Surprises on the Journey Ahead
Let’s face it – no one enjoys being caught off guard. We take meticulous care in planning out our lives and the paths that are in front of us. Despite our best efforts, the unexpected will still creep up around the corner and challenge us. We can fight it off and dwell in the pain of avoiding the unknown, or accept it and launch into new opportunities.
Accepting surprises on the journey ahead doesn’t have to be an intimidating prospect. Unforeseen events can offer
- A chance to reflect – Life sometimes needs a two-step back before we can move on more confidently.
- Lessons – Unexpected changes bring about life lessons that can help inform and strengthen our future decisions.
- Encouragement – Difficult circumstances can sometimes surprise us with a renewed sense of purpose and motivation.
So, as we navigate our journey ahead, be brave and open-minded. Beneath the expected is a sea of surprises that may be waiting to be discovered.
Calvin Klein’s true metamorphosis reveals this recent approach to be far from a risk but in fact a reward – one which pays homage to their roots in creative and culture as they turn their focus back to individuality and self-expression in their marketing. By listening to Calvin Klein’s CMO and embracing a fresh, different and more human path, brands of today will be the ones to last for years to come.