Have you ever had to stand in line and dread every minute that passes by? Queuing may be an inevitable part of our modern lifestyle, but it doesn’t have to be a tedious experience. Queuing can actually be a luxury experience, allowing you to get much more than just a desired item. Read on to find out how the Business of Fashion (BoF) is changing the way we queue.
1. Queuing – The Unpleasant Reality
Nobody likes queuing, but unfortunately it’s a reality that we must live with on a daily basis. We’re queuing to buy groceries, to pay for haircuts, to access ATM machines, and so on – all tedious activities that we’d rather not have to do.
When forced to queue, however, there are a few ways we can pass the time. We can browse the shops and mall corridors, daydream, or immerse ourselves in our own thoughts. We can even make those around us seem less anonymous by engaging them in pleasant chatter. It’s these relatable moments that remind us that other people often endure the same woes of life that we do and helps us to persevere through them.
- <Browsing Shops & Malls> - Enjoy the unique atmosphere of stores and malls while you wait. Check out different products and see what’s new and interesting.
- Dreams & Thoughts – Pass the time by imagining and daydreaming about different scenarios. Let your mind wander to places far away.
- People-Watching - Observe the people around you and what looks like they’re up to. Who knows, maybe you’ll find something amusing or entertaining.
2. Unsavory Queuing Experiences in the Fashion Industry
Fashion can be a grueling industry, even for those of us who dream of being a part of it. A frequently overlooked issue with the industry – eternally long queues – has brought fashion heads and customers alike to breaking point.
The Clock is Ticking: At popular fashion events, queues are a normal occurrence, but their duration and condition vary wildly. Popular ones can last for days, leading to stories of campers sleeping in line or having to bribe queue security just to keep their place. The wait seems to be worth it for many, but unfortunately not all of us can be Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.
The Unsanitary Factor: Sanitary standards are often neglected in these desperately long lines, leading to huddled masses with questionable personal hygiene. With temperatures soaring in line as the weather turns, putrid smells are the last thing you want to deal with when trying to get to the front of the line. Even with the help of face masks, the smell can often be unbearable.
- Queueing times often take days, depending on how popular the event is.
- It’s almost impossible to avoid Sanitary issues when waiting in these lines.
- Crowds can become highly unruly once patience runs out.
As the summer fashion season gets into full swing, it is essential to keep certain key points in mind if fashion heads don’t want to find themselves caught up in one of these taxing – and often unsanitary – queuing experiences.
3. Creating a More Enjoyable Queuing Experience
Queuing up is a part of our daily lives, be it at the checkout counters or the theme park. Most people dread this process, and understandably so, as it demotes us to the level of an obedient subject, waiting for their turn to arrive. With this in mind, we need to actively focus on how to make the queuing experience more enjoyable, and bring smiles back to the faces of those who endure.
There are numerous ways in which queue lines could be made more pleasant. An important step would be to provide a seamless, uninterrupted queueing process that allows customers to move through fairly quickly. To do this, adding interactive payment points and clear, concise policies could free up time and create a smoother overall experience. One could further incorporate fun activities, such as:
- Adding music – This small, yet powerful addition helps make queueing a little more bearable, as the time passes quickly with audible tendencies. It also takes away the dreadful silence that tends to linger at the front.
- Enrich the environment – Installing creative signposts or digital art can stimulate the queuing space, providing a chance to learn and engage with something new.
In this way, companies can actively promote a happier and more comfortable queuing experience.
4. Moving Beyond Inconveniences of Queuing
Queueing is an inevitable part of life, but it doesn’t have to be an uncomfortable experience. With thoughtful strategies, you can get past the hassles of waiting in line quickly and easily.
Start by utilizing an app or website to order ahead or reserve a spot in line. This will cut down on your wait time significantly, allowing you to collect your items much faster. You can also try to arrive at the store before peak hours to avoid long lines. If you can’t beat the rush, try multitasking while queuing. To stay productive, bring a crossword puzzle or catch up on emails. Other tips include:
- Be patient. Queues will move slowly at times, but learning to be patient will make the process easier.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Don’t get caught up in your own world and forget about the customer service staff
- Improve the social atmosphere. Offer kind words or friendly conversation to those in line.
Finding ways to move beyond the inconveniences of queuing could transform your shopping experience. You’ll come out of the store feeling ready to take on the rest of your day, as opposed to feeling exhausted and frazzled from excessive waiting.
No matter where you are in the world, waiting in line can be an unpleasant experience, but with the right improvements, it doesn’t have to be that way. Queuing is an integral part of the customer experience, so let’s make sure it’s a luxury one.